Saturday, January 30, 2016

Chapter 13 - A Miscellany of Adventures



mis·cel·la·ny
ˈmisəˌlānē,miˈseləne
noun - a group or collection of different items; a mixture.

And so it goes. This was a day for many miscellaneous adventures. From a free breakfast to motoring on the coast to a Wildlife Refuge. I covered a lot of ground and a number of adventures here in the middle of California.

But let's start at the beginning, shall we? I think I've said this before. Ah, who cares!?! Today is a day for new and, in a small way, for some old adventures. So, yeah, we'll begin with the beguine which is...

be·guine
biˈɡēn/
noun - a popular dance of West Indian origin, similar to the foxtrot.

...to say we'll begin this particular dance with some hot variety, and a drive through the neighborhood. I was on my way to 1 Hacker Way...the Home of Facebook!!


And the many restaurants there that feed ya for free!!

Hahaha, it's a Wonderland...but first I had to get there. And so I, once again, braved the Mean Streets of the 'Burbs south of Frisco. It wasn't all that bad. Not at all good, but it wasn't, really, all that bad. All that bad had been on the drive through Frisco. That was miserable.

Looking south on Arguello towards Redwood City (RWC).



And, on The 101. It's just another freeway here in this part of the country. Unlike up along the coast of Oregon where The 101 totally rocks. It was an early-morning, 0831, gridlock. Twern't that bad, really. 



And then I hit the road leading into 1 Hacker Way, Home of Facebook.



This was my third visit to FantasyLand in as many days. Whoever says there is no such thing as a free lunch has obviously never had a daughter working at Facebook. It does exist!! And, Boy Howdy, I do appreciate me some free lunch or, in this case, breakfast.

And while I was waiting for Amy to show up I was able to see a bit of the Land they call Facebook. And, true to form, all the kids that work there love themselves some ecology. So they've got bikes stashed all over the place. You just come out, see a bike, and hop on. 

Hahaha, and to top it off, these folks were the most unfailingly courteous people I've met in a long time. Without fail, they moved aside, opened doors, said excuse me and thank you for everything.



Even the Security Guard who was getting a little nervous about me pacing up and down the front of the building for the past 5 minutes was polite as he finally came up to me and asked, "Is there anything I can help you with, Sir?"

I'd been waiting in front of Building 10 which is, as I had pointed out to me several times, Amy's building...where she works. I had, on the two previous visits, mistakenly entered at Building 14. Not this time!!

Plus, I was able to easily find a parking place because, well, because it was early. I got there around 0845 and had my pick of places. I don't think this is an early-to-bed and early-to-rise culture here.




And, to add to all the other free stuff they have for their employees here, they have these electric hook-ups for their avant-garde cars. Hahaha, just one of the many, many perks.

They have, as I mentioned, all these restaurants. In addition they have free ice cream parlors; free coffee stands; chips; candy bars; sodas; fruits and juices. I mean, they cover the gamut of snacks both healthy and the kind I like. They even have an arcade with free games!!

They have a store there, too. Plus a barber shop; dentist; doctor; post office and more. I mean, c'mon!! If they ran the Army like this they'd never have a problem with recruitment!! Wouldn't have much of an Army either but, hey, that's beside the point.



And after a wonderful breakfast with loads of real bacon, I was on my way to another adventure. I had wanted to drive along the Pacific Coast Highway, The PCH as we cool kids call it, on up to Frisco. It was a good idea but, I should have found out where I-84 was before I set out. As it was, I drove for quite a while and then ended up in Santa Cruz. Just a bit down from where I was aiming for. By nearly 50 miles.



But it was a nice day for a drive and for exploring. Motoring along the PCH.



And seeing a lot of flowers.



Then I saw a cove and pulled over for a look-see. This part of the California coast is cool...just not as cool as Oregon. More trees along the Oregon coast. Makes a difference.


And when I walked up along the side of the coast, I ran into this guy. And he posed long enough for me to get a shot.



And to my right was a field full of flowers. Lots of them. I'm not familiar with any of these guys.





And, if I'm not shooting flowers then, lately, I'm shooting birds. Hahaha, still need to work on that patience thing. But this sassy guy alighted in a bush about 12 feet away. He was begging to have his picture taken and, yeah, I obliged.



As I was walking out towards the ocean the cove was to my left. On my right side was this unkept field that looked like something had been planted...and then neglected. I don't know what the plants were but they were ugly and untended. And full of birds.



OK, interesting story. I'm there, looking at the cove and trying to find where the pictures are...there weren't many...and while I was looking, I noticed this couple on the other side taking in the view. I thought this might be interesting and got several shots of them. Well, of the cove and them.



You can see them, the little dots on the horizon across the cove. As I was wandering back towards the Mini, I noticed they were walking towards me. I waited until they got close enough and went up to them and offered them my card. I told them I'd taken several shots of them while shooting the cove and if they wanted them they could e-mail me at the address on the card. Then I walked away. 

I've done this before, offered to e-mail people pictures I had taken where they were in my shot and, no one has ever taken me up on my offer. I don't know if it's me or they don't trust the situation or what, but I've never had anyone ask for their pictures.

Imagine my surprise when she e-mailed me!!! I almost deleted it because, well, I had forgotten all about my offer right after I made it. Y'Know, because no one EVER responded. Fortunately, I didn't and so I was able to send the six pictures I had taken where they were in the picture as tiny silhouettes.

So, there you go, Sheila W., thank for breaking the string of no-go's. She was gracious enough to write back and thank me for them and how much she and her husband enjoyed them. Plus, she even read my blog!! And complimented it!!

Strange!!



That was my human interest story. 

Hahaha, now, let's get back to the birds. Because, doggone it, I was able to get some semi-alright pictures of the birds I saw.

Like this guy. Can't tell you what his name is, but he is Oreo to me.

(Seems Oreo has a name...it's a Black Phoebe!!)



And this little piece of drama!!

Look out, Ladybug!!

This story has a happy ending (don't go there!!) because, while I was still there I saw the Ladybug scampering down the plant and away from the spider.

Whew!!



The deal was, I had thought I'd take a drive along the PCH and see what I could see. And I saw some sandpipers(?) and pulled on over at this park.


It wasn't much looking south. But this is where the sandpipers, or are they plovers, regardless, here is where they were. 


There's one of them!!

(I've been informed, after some searching, that this is a Long Billed Curlew.)



There were several dozen of these guys poking around on the beach.



This is looking north up the beach.

She was just standing and taking it all in and I liked the scene.



Not what you'd call a user-friendly beach.



Looking down towards the ocean.





Across the PCH was this marshy area. No birds, though, which I found surprising.



And then it was back on the PCH again. Lots of fields full of those yellow flowering plants.



Past these giant trees. I remember trees like this from when I was a wee one. Don't have a clue as to what, exactly, they are but they're cool.




And further north on the PCH, I ran across this!!!


What a total surprise!! I hadn't expected this!!


How cool is that!?! It's a Hostel, too!!



It's a lighthouse and a hostel!! I looked up the prices, $78 a night. Hahaha. kinda spartan accommodations but you're paying for the ambiance, not the furnishings, right!?!



There's the Pelican House.





And some of the foliage around the hostel.



And here's the lighthouse. Unfortunately, the Keeper's Shop is closed. In fact, they have the whole thing fenced in.


I'm hoping they've closed it getting it ready for renovation. Let's hope, eh!?!




A view from a different angle. 

For a day that was supposed to be overcast, it was really great. Lots of sky.



They still have some of the original buildings on the site.

Fun Facts: Pigeon Point Lighthouse is one of the most picturesque lighthouses on the Pacific coast. The tower stands on a rocky promontory and has long been a landmark for ships approaching San Francisco Bay from the south. This headland, and hence the lighthouse, took its name from the ship Carrier Pigeon that wrecked here in 1853.

The lantern room of the tower is no longer equipped with the original first-order, 1000-watt Fresnel lens. The lens was manufactured by the Henry-LePaute Company in Paris, France and was first lit at Pigeon Point at sunset on November 15, 1872.

Originally the tower was equipped with a lamp that burned refined lard oil (pig fat). In 1888, that lamp was replaced with a mineral oil (kerosene) lamp. To produce Pigeon Point's assigned characteristic of one white flash of light every ten seconds, the one ton lens rotated one time every four minutes. When observed from a distance, this resulted in the appearance of one white flash of light every ten seconds.


You can walk right out to the point of the headland.



And get a great view of the ocean.



From the same position as above, if you turn around, you get this view.



More Fun Facts: This is the tallest lighthouse (tied with the Point Arena Light) on the West Coast of the U.S. It's still an active Coast Guard aid to navigation. The 115-foot, white masonry tower, resembles the typical New England structure.


The view of the overlook.




And the hostel rooms. You can get a room with bunkbeds or pay a bit more for a semi-private room.



And, these guys were posing on a bush beside the parking lot. Starlings, I think.



Plus this wild looking plant. Looks like someone has a Disco Ball lit up but that's the plant's own decoration.





I was driving out of the parking lot when I saw a hawk up on this phone line. I stopped and backed up, grabbed my camera and rolled down the window just in time to...watch him fly away.

Ratz.


But, back on the road again. My goal had been to get to Half-Moon Bay but I had started so far south that I never made it. I gave up shortly after this picture was taken.



And more of those yellow fields.



It was coming up on 1500 and I turned towards RWC at CA 92. I didn't want to get caught in the traffic during a major commute. Hahaha, too late.



I had noticed there was a State Marine Park just over The 101 and so, on a whim, I went on over to see what I could see. 

And I found the Park. But first, I had to investigate the marina.



Hahaha, I haven't done this too much lately, but if you've read any of my older blogs then you know I have an affection for reflections in the water. 

Hahahaha, I was in hog heaven.



And there was great light to play with. Especially with this red boat.



Someday I'll get a good shot. Someday.





Just rich color. Plus they're kayaks.





And then, as I was walking on over to the park, I saw this. 

I was using the Nikon from about 60 feet away.



Whup!!

Here I was!!


It's a reclaimed landfill and now they're setting it up as part of a wildlife refuge.



And there were plenty of these...



...and these.




Plus, an observatory. Not a lot to the park but the waterfowl love it.



Since I don't know what these are other than ducks, I'll just let you scroll on down.











For a little relief, here's the Smith Slough. Hahaha, not much of a park but it works.







Hey!! This ain't a duck!!

Still, if he's gonna pose like that for me I'm gonna grab his picture.





From the observation deck looking back towards the marina. They have some easy to walk trails throughout the park.

Oh, it's Bair Island State Marine Park.



And this fine fellow came over to check me out. I think he was looking for something to eat, really. Next time I'll bring some snacks, Bud.



And a cell phone selfie.

Uber cool, ain't I!?!



What a great day. What a great adventure. I love California. The weather is great and there is so much to see. Unfortunately, the traffic is beyond crazy and the whole area is way over-crowded.

But I had a great time tooling around and seeing what I could see. 

And, y'know, life is good.




          Hooah!!          



No comments:

Post a Comment