Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Chapter 10 - Old McDonald's

I'm normally a Motel 6 kinda guy. I don't mind the usually less than stellar accommodations you get at a Motel 6 and, I've learned, these motels can swing from "WTH!?!" to "Wow!! Nice!!". But I was introduced to a Best Western (BW) several months ago when we attended the Oregon State Audubon Meeting in Sutherlin, OR. 

I was impressed. And I got to thinking that it was most definitely worth the, generally, $30 to $40 extra, especially the breakfast. And so, the last two times I've stayed at a motel, I've chosen a BW.

Hahaha, I'm sorta late to this comfort game.

Still, it's never too late to learn and, as I've mentioned, several times, I've been learning lots. And, I've learned I like me some comfort and a nice looking room. My only real complaint with BW is that in the three places I've seen the doggone Cable TV set up and operation is too darn complicated and clumsy. But I also admit that I am woefully behind the mark when it comes to technology.

I'm still driving a Model T while everyone else is running in Corvettes and Mustangs. 

Here's the room I had. Very nice.


And I was looking forward to breakfast. 

Mmmmmmmmmm...

I like me some waffles in the morning when I'm on the road. Plus some scrambled eggs and bacon. And don't forget the English Muffin Egg, Sausage and Cheese sandwich.

Hahaha, I am shameless and I ate it all.

It were goooooooooood...


And after that great start to the Second Day of my Adventure, I packed up the Ol' Mini and got ready to hit the road, again.

Another cloudy and overcast morning.


It's an average looking motel, but where they shine is in the services offered and the cleanliness and decor of the rooms. 

Comfort, aaaaaaaahhhhh.


I had the Ol' Mini loaded and it was time to go. I get antsy sitting round waiting and so, even though I wasn't being pushed for time, I was ready to go after breakfast. So, at 0723, I was pulling out of the parking lot and heading south.


And I was back, on the road, again.

Different kind of road in California and a different kind of landscape.

In California The 101 is mostly a four-lane freeway with freeway speeds. Oh, to be sure, there are times, points along the route when it passes through a town or narrows to two lanes as it winds through a mountain pass with a lot of switchbacks.


And, like yesterday, I had my share of some mood-inducing low-lying fog. It does create an atmosphere of mystery...the unknown.


But there wasn't too much of it. Mostly the roads were clear and the driving easy.


And soon  I was out of the mountains and rolling across valleys.


And occasional patches of rain. Nothing too bad but still you need to pay attention. I know I'm a great driver...it's the other guys I worry about.



I think they are building a dam here. The sides of a levee are reinforced...and deep.


Pow!! 

Heading into Ukiah on The 101.


And The 101 runs right on through the town. It reminds me of when we used to ride Route 66 back in the 50s. My Dad would build up speed and be cruising along at a steady 50-55 MPH and then come into a small town and have to slow down. And then he'd speed up again, and have to slow down at the next small town. I can remember all that...and the diners that lined the entrances of each small town.


Then it was a hop, skip and a jump to...The Golden Gate Bridge. 

I wasn't looking forward to driving over The Golden Gate Bridge. I'm not keen on bridges anyway and this one, well it was built in 1937. That means it is 79 years old. That's mighty old for any structure and especially old for one spanning such a long and deep waterway.


I had argued with myself since Ukiah. Should I or shouldn't I? There were a lot of arguments for taking the 580 and skirting around The Golden Gate Bridge and coming into Redwood City (RWC) from the east. Lots of them. All valid.


But I had said I was going to drive The 101 down to RWC and, by golly, I was gonna do it.

But I wasn't going to like it. Not one bit.

This wasn't my first time across. I've been over The Golden Gate Bridge several times starting from the late 50s up and into the 70s. 

I kept both hands on the wheel and my eyes were locked in the straight and forward position while I was on The Golden Gate Bridge. Seriously, I glanced to the side just once and the sight did not please me one bit.

I'm not comfortable with bridges anyway. And water...I can't think of too many ways to die that could be more terrible than drowning. Add that to my distaste of anything taller than 7 feet and...there you have it. I was already tense before I got onto The Golden Gate Bridge


But I made it across and I'm sure the only reason The Golden Gate Bridge held together while I was up there was my Kung Fu Death Grip on that steering wheel and my constant and unwavering attention on holding the Mini to a straight and true course across the Bridge of Death.

So, breathing a sigh of relief at having attained solid ground again, I picked up the $20 I had conveniently stashed on the console so I could pay the extortion demand at the toll booth. I moved to the right because I thought The 101 veered off to the right and I didn't want to have to cross too many lanes to make my exit. There were two booths on the far right that were open and both had "Wide Load" signs above them but, what the heck, if I got out of the Mini anyone could see I had a Wide Load so I qualified.

Besides, I didn't see anything that said I couldn't so I pulled in, rolled the window down and hung my money out the window but...there was no one there. I frantically looked around for some way to pay the bounty but didn't see anything except a sign ahead of me that said, in green, Please Proceed. I hesitated for a second trying to find someone to give my money to and then I heard a loud and insistent BEEP, repeated several times, from the friendly Californian behind me in the lane. So I gingerly pulled forward expecting to lose a couple tires to the spikes which would pop up out of the ground because I hadn't paid the required blackmail monies.

No spikes and so I kept on going and following what I thought was the signs pointing towards The 101. Imagine my surprise when I headed towards the doggone, stinking, crowded and decidedly odd Downtown San Francisco.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!


This was not in my plans!! I had thought The 101 went straight down after The Golden Gate Bridge. I had thought that I had missed the turn for The 101 but, as it turns out, I hadn't. The doggone 101 goes right down Lombard, hangs a right onto Van Ness and then, after a measly 2.2 miles, The 101 goes from city streets to a freeway again.

I'm still on Lombard here. The traffic wasn't too odious so far. I was still ticked about, as I thought, missing the turn-off for The 101. I didn't need any more frustration. Nope.


Then I turned right onto Van Ness. I didn't know at the time that it was only 2.2 miles to The 101 Freeway but I wasn't overly concerned because the traffic had flowed reasonably well on Lombard and appeared to be moving along as I drove down Van Ness.

It was 1226 when I turned onto Van Ness.


Things quickly deteriorated. Traffic grew and the pace slowed to something akin to a glacier moving through a valley.


There were things to see and, believe me, I had a lot of time to see them while I was trapped on Van Ness. I was wired so tight by this time that I could have used a joynt.


I am supposing that the reason the traffic as so abysmally slow was the demonstration that was being held right at the same time I was trying to get out of the city. And it was right behind this building which, and I'm guessing here, is a Federal Building or a Courthouse. There were swarms of cops lined up as I glanced down each street on the sides of this building.

Aahhhh....%&)!@(&$


I had plenty of time and so I took a couple shots in my sideview mirror. Oh, I had plenty of time to stew and fret. 


Until, finally, at 1305, a full 39 minutes after I turned onto Van Ness I came to Fell St and, just beyond, the beginning, again, of the freeway portion of The 101.

It. Took. Thirty-nine minutes for 2.2 miles. And I got to experience some real A$$ (@%# drivers. 

ARGH!!!!!!


I was expecting the worst but, in this case, I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the traffic was moving. Soon enough I was at Quinn and Max's house and ready to go to the Home Depot to look at some refrigerators and stoves.

I know, exciting life!!


But I got to spend some time  with this cutie...


...and this sleepy guy.


Quinn was working the camera.


While Max was not working at all.


And, because I was good while I was at the Home Depot, we were going for Ice Cream at, as Quinn calls it, Old McDonald's.


It was suppose to be a drive-thru but, when the four-year old says "I gotta go!!" you listen. And so drive-thru turned into eat in.

Quickly moving the four-year old to the restroom.


And our treat. 


Hahaha, there's a lot of fun to be had with a simple ice cream cone.


And some French Fries, too.


Hahaha, I didn't get him to pose too often and so I made the best of it when he did cooperate.



I saw my Grandson, Joseph, eat a hot dog bun first and now I've seen my Granddaughter eat her hamburger bun first. Yep. Lifted off the top of the burger, made a careful fold in it and then scarfed it down. 

Then she repeated the process for the bottom of the bun. Finally, she did take down the patty but it was not without some protesting.


Good moments playing with the kids. These valuable times spring up when you least expect them.



Hahaha, getting a real and authentic Quinnifer smile.


It was a good day all the way up to bedtime. This is the look you get when the two-year old recognizes the flash is on and he's gonna get blinked!!


Some good brushing going on here with this one. 


Quinnine the Pooh isn't too happy that Maximus is still in her bed.

Ah, that sibling love.


And so the day ended. And what a good day despite the fact that if you drive The 101, you've got to go through a major part of San Francisco. That is something I would wish on no one.

But it was worth it. Totally. It's a good thing to touch base with family.

Life is good.




          Hooah!!          










No comments:

Post a Comment