Monday, November 23, 2015

Chapter 3: O, Tannenbaum...Yada, Yada, Yada



What could be more fun than than spending a beautiful Saturday morning with a bunch of energetic and rambunctious Boy Scouts? Hahaha, not much.

Part of my master plan to keep myself busy, entertained and semi-useful in an easy and essentially non-demanding type of activity was, to seek out opportunities where I could perform some type of volunteer work. Something flexible and, as I mentioned, uber-easy.  The Boy Scouts were tailor-made for me! Plenty of opportunities to volunteer and make myself semi-worthwhile. So I've become a Merit Badge Counselor for Troop 47 here in Lincoln City.

It's fun helping out. Carol and I are, essentially, a couple of spare adults for whatever the Scouts might need help with. In line with that, I've already started working with two boys on their Merit Badges: one for Citizenship in the Community and the other for Journalism. It's been interesting and I'm learning as well, so it's working out for me

All that leads us to the latest adventure...putting together the Christmas Tree Sales Lot. Woo-Hoo!! Making money to fund the Troop's upcoming year and, maybe, having some fun at the same time.

The deal is that Pirate Coffee, you can see the back of their business on the right in this picture, allows the Scouts to use the empty lot behind them to set up and run the Christmas Tree Sales.

Before they can begin making money, though, they've got to set up the lot. Since the sales start the day after Thanksgiving, this Saturday was the only day where they could get everyone together and get things set up.

So we met this morning at 0800. 

Ahhhh, I rarely, and I want to emphasize that word, rarely; I rarely get up and out early like this. It was, to put it mildly, difficult, even unpleasant. Hahaha, can you tell retirement has spoiled me? But I did it. Got myself up and out and was semi-functional. 

Thank goodness they had a large pot of coffee for us.


First things first was to figure out how to put together the jigsaw puzzle that was the metal pole framework for the large tent. And, thank goodness for those Scouts. I just sorta stood, watched, wondered and waited.


They were whipping that bad boy together in no time.


I admit, I'd have been there a lot longer trying to puzzle that thing together. A lot longer!!

Hahaha, it looks simple here, believe me, it wasn't.


There are times where the wise man stands back and allows the experts to work.

This was one of those times.


Then, after the frame was put together, it was time to put the trestles together. These frames will be used to prop up the trees for sale.


The boys used long 2x4s to connect the trestles together and give them the strength and stability to hold up the trees.



Meanwhile, back at the tent, several large rolls of Duct Tape were sacrificed to make sure the tent stays together in the fabled Oregon Coast Winds.


These boys were having a great time, swinging hammers on the trestles and taping up the frame.


What!?! Don't act all surprised!! Hahaha, I'm always on the look-out for some kind of Artsy-Fartsy picture. 

The starlings were having a good time watching us and kibitzing.





I was pleasantly surprised by how organized and diligent these boys were. Oh, sure, there were some hiccups and, on occasion some motivation and direction needed to be given but these boys did a fine job of getting the lot put together.



It might have gone together quicker but I doubt it could have been put together with anymore fun.


Hahaha, OK, there's always time for a little fun.



Making it so.




And as the frames took shape the boys moved them around to make sure they were in the right place.



Finally, the frame of the tent was finished and the tarp was pulled on over.


And, wisely, they took a moment to make sure they had it facing the right way.


Wow!! Lookin' good!!


And there it is. They've got a wood stove for inside plus a Camp Kitchen so they can make some hot cocoa. More importantly, it gives everyone a place to stay out of the rain. Because, no matter how much we might hope differently, you know it's gonna rain.


Lookin' good!


The last trestles are going up.


And here's John, putting up the support for the lights they strung.


The lights were going up while the Scoutmaster had the other boys putting up the Christmas Tree Sales sign.


Hahaha, looks like a couple of boys were wiped out by all the work.


Getting there. 

The wooden box to the left, that's the Camp Kitchen. All that stuff will be going into the tent.


Finishing touches.


Jeremy and John were running the power for the lights.



And, hey!! It's done. The trees will be delivered next Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, and we'll be there and ready for business!!


There they are...


And this is a more natural pose.


It was fun. The boys did a good job putting it together and, aside from one small injury, everyone had fun.

So, do you need a Christmas Tree? Haha, of course you do. C'Mon down and pick one up.

I had a good time and got to make myself semi-useful. A definite Win-Win for me.

Things like this help me remember: Life is good.




          Hooah!!          





No comments:

Post a Comment