Friday, November 20, 2015

Chapter 1: He's Baaack!!!

Don't ask. I don't know. Somehow, someway I lost my entry to my Blog.  It was there; it is there; but I can't access it to add a new blog. Now it just sits out there in the Netherworld; floating along, ignored, like its older brother.

First, way back when, my original Smilin' Jack Blog was full and so I had to create a second blog. It twarn't easy. After a lot of banging my head on the table, I was finally able to get it to work and thus was born...Smilin' Jack 1. Course, I was hard-put to smile by the time I got that sucker up and running. Like most things technical, it did not come easily to me.

You can imagine my chagrin when I lost Smilin' Jack 1. You can probably imagine the illustrative, colorful and emotionally charged words I liberally employed when I couldn't get back into Smilin' Jack 1. Finally, I am sure you can appreciate the reluctance I felt as I began trying to create a new blog...Smilin' Jack 2.

OK, so I set about the arduous and trying task of creating a new blog and...I finally got it!! Hahahaha, I was feeling more than a bit smug as I, after only a couple of days, had created a new blogspot. Then reality or karma or whatever it is that loves to make life difficult for me kicked in. ARGH!!

I got to where it was allowing me to create a new posting but, and this became exceedingly frustrating,  because, although it was letting me write a new blog, when I tried to put pictures on it they appeared as a written script...no picture...just the written code. Not good. When I went to preview, I could see the picture but back on the 'draft' side, I could enter my story but the pictures kept showing up as code.

Argh!! I wrestled with it mightily and .... nothing. It continued to taunt me showing off my huge lack of technical expertise. And its been like that for the past two weeks. Everyday I would open my new blog and try putting a picture on it and ... nothing. I was going by my old DIY repairing trick ... keep on trying the same old thing and hoping, like heck, it would work this time.

It didn't work.

So this time, tonight, I tried one small thing that I hadn't tried before. I was wondering if I just made the type larger if that would, somehow, affect the pictures (I know, as I write this I can see the lack of logic in that sentence). And so I tried to change the size of the type but ... in the header, there wasn't any of the normal array of choices I expected to see.

Hmmmmm ... WTH!?! I looked at it and there, on the left-hand side of the header was a box labeled 'Compose'. I hadn't noticed that box before and hadn't touched it yet which was, y'know, odd because, along with my old standard ploy of trying the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result, I usually pushed, prodded or poked every button, switch and toggle I could find several times hoping that might help. Yet, here was this button I had not pushed!! So I did.

The heading changed and, by golly, it looked more familiar. Very familiar. Excited, I loaded a picture and, Son-of-a-Gun!! there it was ... right there in the draft ... the picture!! Don't ask, I don't know why the fiends at Google put in this stupid feature in their blogs. Sadists.

But, hahahahaha, finally!! I was back in business!! My old way of fixing things had worked!!

And that brings us to the here and now ... Smilin' Jack 2 - The Adventures of Smilin' Jack.

He's Baaack!!

And so we begin with my third entry into the world of entertaining and informative blogging. Sit back, take your time and enjoy the ride, amigo!!

And for Chapter 1, it's time to play catch-up. In fact, it will be catch-up for a bit. A regular hodgepodge of a story. At times it will be out of sequence, slightly. I'll try to minimize it but until I get caught up the narrative might bounce around. It's that I am too lazy to spend the time and effort getting everything in order. C'Mon, you should know that by now.

OK, then, let's go!! We're gonna start this mish-mash with a short jaunt I took to the Spring Lake Open Space. Realizing my desperate need for exercise, I've taken to morning walks but, y'know, it gets semi-boring going up and down the same ol' street every morning. So I thought I'd shake things up a bit and drive over to other parts of town for my walks. Yeah, I know, but it helps make the walk more pleasant to be able to wander along through some of the other parts of town. Variety, y'all.


I'd been here before on a bird walk and sort of knew what to expect. Beginning with the small lake (I want to call it a pond but I'll go with the name of the place) that defines the Open Space.

On a small aside, I've wondered why they call these areas Open Spaces and not the more familiar Park. I imagine it has something to do with PC concerns...negative connotations associated with Park. Wanting to be more inclusive ... something. But in my mind, I always default to Park when I think of these...Parks. Sorry.


It reminds me that the area we're in is predominately evergreen country. The deciduous trees have shed, for the most part, their leaves and now the conifers have taken over completely. No dramatic fall foliage colors at this Park, er, ah, Open Space.


The weather has been, as you can understand, overcast and damp. The subdued light affects the color, the mood, the day. But it's going to be like this until late March or early April and so I am conditioning myself to enjoy what we have.

Can't beat'em so might as well enjoys'em.


The ferns do the color switch. But unless you catch them backlit, with the sun coming in from behind, they're really drab...just a footnote in the forest. 

Hahaha, are you enjoying this yet? No!?! Well it's not going to get better y'all.


Another day and another walk. This one led me by Regatta Park on Devils Lake. As I got out of the Mini, some movement near a lakeside house caught my attention and when I looked closer it was this guy; a Great Blue Heron.

I don't know if this is a regular haunt for him but, there he was, moving around the porch like he owned the place.



Then he hopped on over to the roof. I swear I'm working on being patient and I mention this because I stood there alongside the Mini shooting pictures of this guy for nearly five minutes waiting for him to do something other than, well, just stand there.

He didn't. I couldn't wait around and so I gave up on him and moved on. Hahaha, I'm still working on that patience thing...but I want it NOW!!


Looking east across Devils Lake. Caren and Tom have their home over there, just to the left of the big house on the right. 


I checked on the Heron and he was still there. See the second floor white porch railing almost in the center on the blue house? If you look very carefully, you can see Mr. Heron on the sloping roof just to the right of that porch. And he wouldn't budge. 


Devils Lake.

Fun Facts: Devils Lake separates the northern part of Lincoln City from the Central Oregon Coast Range. It's a third of a mile wide, three miles long and up to 21 feet deep.

It's main claim to fame is that the D River flows from the lake westward to the Pacific Ocean. At approximately 120 feet long, it is the world's shortest river!!

According to Oregon Geographic Names, the lake gets its name from a Native American legend. In the Legend, a giant fish would occasionally surface, much to the dismay of anyone fishing on the lake. Yeah, I can understand that.


Regatta Park is built on a slope down toward the lake and to provide some level surface for a playground, they built an embankment and then decorated with these illustrated fishies. 

Nice little park; there is an area for fishing off a dock in addition to a boat launch.


As you might know, Carol and I joined the local Audubon Society Chapter, the ASLC. It was a way of meeting some good people and continuing to participate in the bird walks, etc. My goal was to get out, take some pictures, and see some new places. That's it. Pretty simple. 

Then we went to the Chapter's Potluck Board Meeting to vote for new officers. I'm pretty much committed to sitting, quietly, and waiting for the food. So there I am and they start talking about needing a new Vice President. Long story short, five minutes later I'm shaking my head and trying to figure out how I was now the new Vice President.

The only saving grace was that I was promised that, other than lending my name to fill in the empty slot, nothing would be required of me...nothing...nada. 

And they've pretty much lived up to that promise. So far I've enjoyed the largely ceremonial position. Then Jack D., the Prez, asked me if I would represent the ASLC during the Oregon Audubon Chapter Meeting being held in Sutherlin. After a lot of feeble squirming and whining, I was committed to going. 

I was, again, assured that little would be required of me. Mainly it was showing up, being quiet, and smiling...a lot. I can do that. Not so much the smiling thing but the others I had down pat.

So we were off for another adventure in Sutherlin, Oregon.


And we stayed at the Best Western Plus Hartford Lodge.

A nice place with large rooms and...more importantly....


....a really great breakfast buffet!! 

You can't see him but there, on the right, behind the ferns, was a chef making up the eggs however you wanted them!! I had a couple of great omelets plus all the sausage and bacon I could eat. 

Hahaha, I still get the feeling like I'm a little kid in a toy store when I get to a breakfast buffet. And, what made it really great was that it was included in the room. Heaven!! 

I can still remember driving back to Oklahoma with my parents and, on one of those rare occasions where we actually stopped for breakfast, the look on my Dad's face when I asked if I could get a side of bacon in addition to the bacon that came with the meal. Bless my Dad, but he didn't suffer fools and idiots easily. I didn't get my side.


After a hardy breakfast, it was upstairs for the meeting.


It was an interesting experience. I learned a lot and got to meet some very accomplished and interesting people. While I felt like a fish out of water, they were gracious and pleasant and made the effort to make me feel welcome.

It was a long day but I got to see grassroots America in action. And, with just a few exceptions, these folks were all volunteering their time, energy and talents to doing something worthwhile.


The view from the Best Western parking lot. Morning of the second day and the rain was holding off just long enough for us to have a bird walk.


The second day, there was a bird walk scheduled for those attending. The local Chapter was hosting the walk at Ford's Pond, a natural area just west of Sutherlin.

It had once been used for logging. There had been a plan to build new housing around the pond but that fell through. Then the city bought the land and set it aside for a Recreation Area. I would have just called it a park but, what do I know?


Carol and I had arrived early and while we waited for the others, we took the time to survey the area.


The Recreation Area is set in a valley and surrounded by small hills and farms.



The weather really cooperated and while it was overcast, there were patches of sunshine poking through every-so-often. Plus, and this is a key point, it didn't rain. Oh, we got a couple brief misty drizzle but no real rain.


And we got to see some birds. Like this Downy Woodpecker. 


And an egret. Got to see several of these guys plus a couple of blue herons, coots and assorted ducks.


And the others began arriving. There's Diana, the President of the Host Chapter along with Matt who was going to lead today's bird walk.


And more folks kept arriving. We had a pretty good crowd by the time we got started. These guys are semi-serious about this...look at all those telescopes there on tripods. One of the lower end of these 'good' scopes starts around the $2000 mark.


A long view of Ford's Pond. Oh, and we saw a couple Nutria there, too. 


And what blog would be complete without a Great Blue Heron. 


The folks there tend to take their time. We started out and by the time we left, and we left early, they had only gone maybe 100 yards in about 50 minutes. We had made two stops while going that 100 yards. They really took their time moving.




I got a lot of shots of this scene. A lot. I got tired standing in one place and so I decided we'd get started on the drive back to LCO a little bit earlier than we had planned.


But not before I got me a group shot. Well, I suggested it and was going to take it but they insisted the young husband of the woman from Washington, who was here but didn't attend the meeting the day before, take the picture. And so, there I am, Fat Guy on the right.


So we hit the road, heading back to LCO. I could have gone the I-5 route but, seriously, boring!! I decided to drive back along the route we had driven in on. I strongly recommend this drive if you can. 

Drive west out of Sutherlin on OR 138. It follows the Umpqua River and then merges into OR 38. Follow this road, allowing plenty of time to stop and oooh and aaah at the scenery. This will take you into The 101 and then you just turn north and keep on driving until you get to LCO.

But that drive along the Umpqua....worth the effort. Definitely worth the effort.


We stopped at a small wayside along OR 38 and got these views.


You can't see him, he's too far away, but while we were there, Carol spotted a bald eagle up high in the trees across the river. He was too far away for my lens to get him but we could see him. His head was visible, a white blotch, in the otherwise green background.


The eagle was in the trees on the left in this picture. Oh, I got some pictures of him but they are grainy and foggy because I had to really reach with my zoom. Take my word for it...he was there.


We'd seen these herds of elk on the way out but this time we pulled over to get a better view...and a shot. Of course it was raining by now so we stayed in the car, rolled the window down and shot these elk.

Oddly enough, these huge herds, and the viewing areas placed alongside the road, were located just west of the aptly named, Elkton, Oregon.



And we got a bit of the fall foliage, too. What a great drive.



Getting closer to Florence, Orgeon, where we'll pick up The 101.

Keen fun. I'm thinking it would be worth the time and effort to come back along this drive in the Spring.

It was a good weekend. We met some new folks and saw some new country. Works for me.


Back in the 'Hood, we fell easily into our regular routine. We were out for one of our morning walks and, BAM, we bump into these guys. I really enjoy the idea of living in an area where the deer roam free...right through your yard. 


We've even seen deer crossing The 101 over by the IGA store.


And a random flower thrown in. Because I can, that's why!!


I wanted to include this establishing shot of the little bluff at our place. I've taken, when it isn't too rainy, wet, windy or cold, to sitting out on these lawn chairs sipping on a beer, listening to the tunes, reading a book and, occasionally, watching the waves roll in and then roll out again.


This mailbox array is on NW 34th Street and so I pass it often. These boxes have always intrigued me and I've gotten a good number of pictures of them. The forms, shapes, patterns and colors that mailboxes make have sparked an interest in them.

I've been thinking of shooting a photo essay on mailboxes. I just haven't figured out how to approach them. Regardless, I've taken to being aware of them as I walk and when I see one that interests me, getting a shot of it. Fair warning, you'll be seeing just a few mailboxes in future blogs.


Hey!! It's Autumn!!

Of course I'm gonna have leaves. Nothing as spectacular as those we saw at Coulon Park in Renton. That was an explosion!!

But these are good.


Hahaha, you'll see some more of these, too.


What the...!?! 

Boy, that was quick, wasn't it!?!

Angles, shapes, patterns. 


We had a pretty good storm here a week or so ago. The wind was really blowing and the rain came down in sheets driven sideways by the wind. We were fortunate and didn't lose our power or have any leaks in the house. Doing good!!


During a break in the storm, I went and sat out on the bluff. I always carry one of my cameras with me and whenever I get bored with what I'm doing, I break it out and just shoot.


The beach has changed since our arrival in April. It's amazing to me how vastly different this small stretch of beach appears each month. It's not static.


Early morning walk during the storm and the winds were whipping these about.


Hahaha, I warned you!! I like the way the one on the right has been secured. It looks like something I would do.


I'm liking this bluff and the view. 


Here I am. The wind eased up, the rain stopped and the sun made a brief afternoon appearance. Hahaha, enjoying life on the beach.


Taken just a moment after the above picture. This is my view.

Me likey!!


There are times when the sun breaks out and brings color to the clouds and sky. Can't beat the views.


And when we walk, we keep our eyes out for birds. Like this much reviled fellow, a European Starling. These birds were brought to America by Shakespeare enthusiasts a little over a hundred years ago because these nutcases wanted to have the same birds here in America that Shakespeare once had in England. 


And we got to see this Northern Flicker!! 

Way cool!!


Here we go again. I'm currently infatuated with the "Vivid" feature on my cameras. I fall in and out of love with this setting ever-so-often and now is one of those times. It punches up the color when you take the shot. 

You can see the color doesn't look quite natural here. Still, these are a nice set of mailboxes. I bet that guy on the left end has the biggest car in the neighborhood, too.


And, POW, from mailboxes to Autumn Leaves.

I am predictable. Mark these words next time the Fall comes by.


For Veterans Day, the Kiwanis Club posts Flags along The 101 through LCO. They've put out these concrete stands along The 101 that remain there year-round. Then, for Veterans Day and the Fourth of July, they dress the city in flags. 

They're interspersed along The 101. Normally, they're several hundred feet apart but at this corner I guess the Kiwanis guys wanted to make a bold statement. Looks good.

The Kiwanis put them out in the morning and the Boy Scouts picked them up in the evening. This year I was able to drive a couple scouts up and down The 101 picking up the flags on the north side of the city. 

I thought they would all fit in the Mini in one trip. I was wrong. There were a lot of flags....so many that I had to make a trip back to the storage area to unload and then head back out to pick up the rest of them. The scouts were fun to work with as they made a game of the whole thing.

And we only missed one. I collected it up and I'll get it back to the scouts. Not bad for the first time out.


More Autumn themes...with the 'Vivid' feature still on. This is a path in the Connie Hansen Garden. One of the many treasures we have here in LCO. The Garden is just a quarter mile away from me.



And another deer on another walk.


And again, on a different day. These folks put out feed in dog dishes for the deer. Plus, I see where I've turned off the 'Vivid' feature for a while.


I've gotten interested in lines and birds and taken to shooting the telephone lines. It's another theme I'm exploring along with the mailboxes and leaves. I'm still trying to find what it is I'm looking for. I don't know what it is; but when I see it I'll recognize it.

Be patient.


Another day, another walk. Back on the 'Vivid' feature again. 


Back in the Connie Hansen Garden again. A bench for some sittin' and thinkin'.


You saw another view of this scene a bit earlier. Here's a wider view of the pathway in the Connie Hansen Garden.


Walking around, I found this door to the local surf/skateboard shop. Kids with decals...they go crazy.


Here's NW 34th Street heading down to the beach from the Connie Hansen Garden.


Wires, birds and B&W. 

POW!!

That's a Stellar's Jay there on the lower wire with Starlings to the left.


OK, I'm back in business. The Adventures of Smiln' Jack continue.

I found that I really missed putting out this blog these past few weeks. I was so desperate that I even considered, briefly, paying for a blog!! Now, if you know me you know how desperate I was feeling if I considered laying out money for a blog site.

But I persevered and won out in the end. 



It's fun for me and allows me to exercise my brain a bit along with a couple other things. I like the idea of chronicling my day-to-day existence. It ain't much, but it is mine. And through this marvel of modern technology, I get to share it. I can see not only the transitions of the seasons but also the transitions of my life. Kinda cool.

It's good to be back.

Life is good.




          Hooah!!          




No comments:

Post a Comment