Thursday, July 5, 2018

Chapter 75 - The Visit Part II

It was, astonishingly, a pretty easy drive back from the airport. Traffic going in the opposite direction was terrible but we were heading out of the city and that was a plus. At any rate, we were moving along pretty easily.

And since the girls had been traveling all day they were a wee bit hungry so we found ourselves, after some searching, a Carl's Jr., and pulled in for some dinner. And some fun.

Like this. One of the first of the many 'Evil Eyes' I got from Addie. All in fun, of course. But I have to admit that she's mastered the art of the Ol' Stink Eye.


Frances was having fun on her own. Or maybe she was enjoying her Carl's Jr dinner way too much. Doesn't she look like Lexi-Lu back when she was a wee nipper?


And I have no idea what was going on here...other than just plain fun.

Regardless, we all knew that French Fry was a goner. It was just a matter of seconds before it was gone, gone, gone.

And we all had fun...even after a full day of air travel.


By the time we got back to the shack there was still time to go outside on the bluff and enjoy the sunset. And we did.


But we were up and on the road early the next morning heading to the south for...adventure!! No real plan but lots of possibilities. Like this!!

The Prehistoric for the obligatory Photo Op with the T-Rex. Ah, these girls.


And they were well-behaved and respectful inside the store. And fascinated with all the tchotchkes there for sale.


Oh, the many, many, may useless knick-knacks and doo-dads for sale.


This little one fit right with the big girls fascinated by the shiny baubles of display.


But the girls were great. They enjoyed looking around and had fun with just exploring.



Addie took her time and made a reasoned decision to purchase her own souvenir. And then we were on our way out to the present day world and back in the Mini heading south. 


To Depoe Bay, The Whale-Watching Capitol of the World to see if we could spot ourselves some whales. And the weather was beautiful...just right for a day of adventuring.


Which, evidently, included jumping off walls because, well, taking the steps takes too doggone long!! Plus it's all part of the grand adventure.


And once she was down there she set right down on the bench and began a conversation with the lady and her dog. 


I had let Frances use the small camera, the SX170, to take whatever pictures she wished to. And then I let Big Sis, Addie, use the G3 X for a while. 

I think having cameras in the hands of a child on an adventure can be really fun. Gives you a chance to see what is important, interesting, intriguing or of value to them at that moment in that place. Like this shot of Mommy holding up Little Bit to see the coast.


Or this shot of Grumps and Mom having a Daddy-Daughter Moment.


Even Frances got in on the convo with the lady on the bench with the dog. And, apparently, everyone has a camera, too!!


Addie. Interesting angle until you consider this is about as high as she is and so it makes a bit more sense she'd shoot from this height.


She even got a nice shot of Frances' hand with the SX170.

Nicely done.


Frances was focused. As was Addie in taking her picture.


I have to admit, I felt a bit naked without my camera but it was fun to let the girls play around with them. Little opportunities like these can lead, possibly, other life-defining hobbies or even professions.


Addie must like her Mommy.


And the Coasties made their once-daily flight up the Oregon Coast and then back down. It was on the back-down trip that Addie caught this picture of the Coast Guard Rescue Helicopter.


Addie's vision of her sisters playing.


And the Tourist Boat heading out to look for whales.


Addie again. Two birds, one shot and neither on a wire.


OK, I'm a nice guy but I was beginning to get shaky without my camera and so once we got inside the Whale-Watching Station, I got my camera back.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...


Part of the joy, at least for me, of being a Grandparent is not having to be directly responsible for keeping an eye on the Littles. I mean, I was there and I was watching them but I wasn't, y'know, like accountable. I could watch and enjoy without having to worry about don't do this or stop that or whatever. 

I was free to just watch them be themselves. Like this as they tried to make some origami whales.


This one caught on pretty quick and knocked out a few of them. The other one had some difficulty and got one done that was recognizable as a whale.


And then Addie learned about a Treasure Hunt for clues, a Quest, so to speak, and she was off!!


They had a fun table set up for the Littles. Origami Whales, drawing whales, coloring whales...you get the idea. And the kids could come and go and do as they pleased.


The weather was great. And the touristas were out in force. But who wouldn't want to come and take a gander at this...The Whale Watching Capitol of the World.


And, sure enough, we saw several whales.


And Addie persevered and got her Jr. Ranger Badge.


Then we walked over to see the inlet into The World's Smallest Harbor here in The Whale Watching Capitol of the World. Wow!! Depoe Bay is pretty impressive for its size.


And there it is...The World's Smallest Harbor.


Hahaha, Michelle really wanted a picture with this sign. And, by golly, she got it. That's the Mighty 101 behind the girls. All the girls were well-behaved and there was very little drama.


Addie had misplaced one of her earrings and so Mama Bear wanted to look around and see if they could find another pair for her. So off to the Tourist Trap Stores. If you don't need it, they got it!!


After Depoe Bay, we drove down to Cape Foulweather. It was getting a bit cooler but the girls dutifully lined up with Moms for a picture with the Oregon Coast behind them. And, somewhere way back there is the Yaquina Lighthouse.


And this little guy was singing so loud and consistently that I just had to get a shot of him. What a ham.


Speaking of hams. Frances was posing for, I think, Addie. It got confusing just who had the little camera by now. But they had fun taking their own pictures.


Maybe it was Addie. I think Delaney was having a small meltdown. Which, given all the stuff she'd been doing the past two days was understandable. It didn't last long.


And, The Shot. First we go for glamour...


...and the regular shot.


Hahaha, I wanted to join her. First I was surprised she lasted as long as she did. Second I was surprised the other girls didn't join her.


Addie, obeying the Code of the Elder, got the way back all to herself. For the whole trip.


OK, I admit it. Since I first saw this spot, I knew I wanted to bring my Grandkids here to go swimming. It's a little spot along the Salmon River where the river bends and there's a large rock shelf that is shallow and made for fun. Oh, there are deeper areas but this one is just right. 

I was, once again, surprised that Michelle agreed to this idea. I sorta thought she would just want to stay on the beach but, hey, finally!! I got some Grandkids here. For me it was a kick in the pants.

And I was surprised at the number of people that were already there. 

This little crowd was oohing and aahing over a crawdad they'd found.


Speaking of which I think they did the right thing and threw him back into the water after gawking at him for a while.


It was slow going getting into the river. This is the shallow part, just down the river not very far, the water gets much, much deeper.


These guys behind Frances were wearing wetsuits and moving along the shallow water with face masks on looking for...I don't know.


Michelle checked out the whole area as the girls got into the water, slowly. 


Finally Addie made me worry as she waded further out into the river. It was moving along pretty well in the shallow parts and I worried about her slipping and having a little difficulty.


Honest the only thing I was worried about was the footing. These girls can swim like fish but still, I worried.


Slow but sure. I can only imagine how cold the water was cuz I wasn't foolish enough to stick any of my body parts into it.


Don't ask. I don't know.


I was worried now the girls weren't having a good time. I just needed to practice a little patience; a virtue I am often in short supply of. Especially in traffic.


Look over Addie's left shoulder. She what looks like a rock with a light-colored stick coming up from it? That's one of the six or so divers that were there. And look at Adds, getting all brave and all.


I would have loved this spot as an 8-year old. 


Finally, D-Bomb found some fun.


"It's c-c-c-c-cold!!"


Looking upriver from where I was sitting. The river comes in from the right, behind those trees. It makes a turn as soon as it clears the trees and runs south for a short while and then turns west again heading towards the ocean.


And it was up there that Frances the Explorer found the little pond. I'm sure the water was warmer there, being trapped so-to-speak and being shallow and in the sun.


It was tailor-made for Frances.


And Addie began making her way up to the river towards the pond.


While D-Monster practiced her pitching skills. She can really put some body english into her throws.


The girls were having a good time but I just worried because they weren't laughing continuously. I need to back up a bit and honestly remember my childhood. Sometimes you have the greatest time when you're just being quiet and being with your sister.


And they were finding things to do. They were having simple fun. Not organized or orchestrated by an adult. They were being kids. In a river.


And D-Monkey was still heaving stones left and right. She was a rock-throwing machine.


Meanwhile, the other ladies were occupied. Exploring and being kids. And I like that they found the small pond with the warmer, calmer waters. Smart.


Uh, oh!! Here's comes the Rock Thrower!! Do you think she'll chunk a rock or two into the pond?


Yeah, she did. Some hefty ol' rocks, too. 

Havin' fun!!

And Mama Bear was watching the whole thing, and enjoying herself, too.


I sorta wish I had brought a pair of shorts so I could go wallow in the pond, too.


Da Gurlz!!!


Hahaha, you couldn't expect me to NOT get one artsy-fartsy shot. Back-lit leaves. What can I say .... there's only so much time one can spend taking pictures of one's grandchildren.


This one moved back into the river proper and was having fun.


This was the opposite shore of the river. You'll see it again, later.


OK, here's the D-Bomb having a grand time. You'll see exactly how in the following pictures. But, notice this, she's in the sun, right? It's the early afternoon and the sun is moving along its axis and she's playing in the sun because it's warmer.

I mention this because as I kept turning around and looking at her after watching the other two, I noticed she was moving farther and farther away from me. Then I realized that she, smart girl, was just moving along with the sun...and keeping herself warm(er).

You'll see another picture of her further along where she is way down towards the pilings of the bridge. In the sun.


So I flipped it over to B&W. That 'bored again' thingie.

And shot the heck out of D-Minion.


The the fun she was having with the mud.


She would get a good handful, test it by rolling it around in her hands and the liberally apply it to her legs and belly.


Hahaha, just because she could.

Why not, eh!?!


Then it was off to the river to wash it off and then she would do it all over again.


Then these two adventurers took off for the far shore and danger!!


But things are always better with someone else to hold your hand. So there they went...fording the raging river.


I was kinda surprised they got this far. I had thought the rocks too slippery and I really thought it would be deeper than it really was here.


Sisters, sisters,
There were never such devoted sisters.
Never had to have a chaperone, no sir!
I'm here to keep my eye on her. 


And they were on the other side!! I had not expected that.


So, of course, that was as good a reason as any for some glampin'. 

Nothing says ADVENTURE like a model's pose.


Isn't this a great place to go swimming in the river!?!


This is one of my favorite pictures of the whole thing.

Two Granddaughters out exploring, having fun and making memories. And, hopefully, in a small way I will be part of those memories.


OK, they're back. I can breathe again.

See D-Monster? She how far she's moved along keeping herself in the sun. And I'm pretty sure she just kinda naturally did that without a whole lot of organized thought. Just naturally smart.


Loving the river and the sun.

Just under the bridge is where the rock shelf ends and the drop off is deep.


Rollin', Rollin', Rollin' on the River.


And, for some reason I can't remember, I got another Stink-Eye from Addie. Or maybe she was showing me her River-Face.



What a spot.


And the Grandkids were happy. 

Good enough for me!!


I guess this was more an old Grandpa bargain', via his pictures, of his Grandkids. 

I had a great visit. They were fun to be with and I hope I gave them some good memories. I know I've got a couple. And they gave me another reason to be aware that Life Is Good.

Hooah!!




















No comments:

Post a Comment