Monday, March 26, 2018

Chapter 61 - Going Home

This is a departure from my usual modus operandi. I usually end my ugly screeds with a picture quote, another fop to my huge vanity.

However, I couldn't think of a good beginning to this last chapter of The Lighthouse Quest and the phrase, "All good things must come to an end..." kept running through my head and so I just ran with it.

I looked around saw some other things and came up with this semi-original quote of my own.

So there it is. A good thing has come to an end. It's time to pack our bags and head on back to LCO. To be sure, there will be some further adventures along the way as we gently motor at a leisurely and gas-saving pace back up The 101...that's a given.

But to take it a step further, with this end, why, it opens the doors to new beginnings. A new Adventure!! Another Quest!! The next chapter.

And so, having cleared the air somewhat, let's kick the tires and light the fires (Quick!! What movie is that quote from!?!) Let's get started.



Hahaha, I'm sure you got the quote. It's from the movie, Top Gun. Maverick and Goose are getting all macho as they walk down the flight line for some more blazing adventures.

But I'm not even remotely macho so I'll start my final chapter on this current adventure with a picture of some gorse. 

A certain beauty...infused with danger.


I was feeling a wee bit artsy-fartsy shooting the gorse. But, enough. No mas, as they say south of the border.


Our first stop, as we left was an old school that was in the process of being converted into an apartment complex. 

We took a drive out to see the lighthouse at Cape Arago and, on our return, spotted this school being advertised as apartments. So we resolved to drive back.

Hahahaha, evidently the idea of living in a refurbished classroom, the uniqueness of it, appeals to both Carol and I.

This one was still being worked on by the Maintenance Man who also worked at the owner's Trailer Park. It was going slowly. Oh, it is in the Charleston area of Coo's Bay. Or, as the locals call it, Charley-town.


We took the time to see the lighthouse but we also spent some time just visiting the coastline. Wow!! There's a lot there to see.

And I begin with this artsy-fartsy.

There was a large rock set a short distance from the shoreline and the top of it was covered with grass. And a couple of Canada Geese. I had never thought of geese being that close to the ocean but there they were...honking and doing geesey things on that small 'island' set just off-shore.

And I got a nice picture. I like the way the green dominates the lower right side while the blue of the ocean takes over the upper left. And, in the center, two lone figures of gray with a touch of black.

Colors. Hmmmmm, I wonder what this would look like in B&W.

(Nah, it doesn't work. Ratz!)


But we were there to revisit the Cape Arago Lighthouse. Lonely sentinel set off on an island of its own. Kept apart from the rest of the world by choice as the bridge that once spanned the gap between the island the and coast has been deliberately left broken and unusable.

A good place to stay when the Zombie Apocalypse finally happens.


A wider view from our viewpoint. The broken bridge is to the right and hidden behind the outcropping.


Here you can get an idea of where the Lighthouse is versus the viewpoint. And how rugged the coast is along this part of it.


There's a clean view of the ocean from this Lighthouse.


Occasionally, the Indian Tribe who controls the land here will open it up to visitors. Not too often, though.


Ah, the beauty of the Oregon Coastline.

The Coast is rugged and unforgiving...and battered and shaped by an ocean equally fierce.


From the viewpoint.


Then we drove up a little ways to the Shore Acres State Park.

This place alone is worth going back to see again. What a landscape. Again, I'm not a geologist but I'd be interested in learning more about these rock formations and how they were formed. Fascinating.

Before we get to them, let's take a moment to marvel at the uprooted tree. See it, just to the left? Those are the roots and the trunk of the behemoth is lying on the ground. What forces must have worked to take this monster, rip it out of the ground and place it up here on this crest?

Wow!!


OK, I can't explain any of this other than to present it and try and paint it with my meager words.

Like this. A smooth expanse of rock broken by some rugged rocks jutting up and out of it.


We both were taken with this part of the Coast.


Then there was this. I got the impression in my head of seals, resting on the shore. But heres another rock formation. 

Don't ask, I don't know.


And this!! 

What!?! How!?! Why!?!


Oh, and we saw an Oyster Catcher. Not too often you see these little fellows.



And then I spotted this lone figure way down in a semi-protected cove. Just standing on a rock.

It's a Harlequin Duck.

Ain't it something!?!


Unperturbed by the rising tide. Just standing there looking uber cool.


OK, if you know me you know there are 40-50 pictures of this guy standing there. But, because I like you, yada, yada, yada, I'll stop right here with Harlequin pics.

Still, it's a cool-looking duck.


Seriously, I can recommend a trip to this park just for the view of the coastline.


And yet another Oyster Catcher!


A semi-detail of the rugged and unforgiving coast. I can see where the ancient mariners wanted and needed those lighthouses as they navigated these shores with their sails and sextants.


I don't know. But, WOW!!


What was going on here!?! 

Party, Mother Nature!?! A little too much to drink, eh!?!

Amazing.


This isn't a threat, but I could go on and on with pictures of the unusual rock formations along the coast here. But it's time to move along and so let's head up the coast to another light...just because we can..and another adventure.

The Umpqua River Light.

With this commanding view of the Pacific Ocean.


This is the kind of a light where you just come, see and go.

Oh, there's a small museum there and you can schedule a tour of the lighthouse but because it's set in the middle of base housing there's not a lot you can do there involving the light.

You see, from the parking lot. You shoot, from the parking lot. and then you say, "OK, that was fun. What's next?"


The fresnel. This light was built at the same time as the Heceta Head Light. They used the same plans so this light is exactly identical to its northern neighbor. 

Kind of like the twin brothers, Jamal and Juan. You know what they say, "Once you've seen Juan you've seen Jamal."

Hahahaha, I crack myself up!!

Oh, BTW, it's a first order fresnel.


A little history of the light.


In all it's glory, surrounded by base housing. You gotta question the wisdom now of putting the Coastie's housing all around the light. 


Hmmmmm, I think I've seen this before.


But then we spotted, in the expanse in front of the parking lot, this guy, a Rufus Hummingbird.


I was pleased to see him and even happier that he sat still long enough for me to get more than a few pictures.


OK, this is enough. But I have more. Just ask. I'll show them to you. All of them. Honest.


There were plenty of robins there and plenty of opportunities to shoot them as well. 


And we even got to see...a Red-Tailed Hawk.

Can you say, WOW!?!


Bouncing back and forth between the robins and...



...the Red Tailed Hawk.


There were a goodly number of birds there. Like this white-crowned sparrow.


And a rather noble looking robin.


And this sleek beauty. Looking good, Lady.


Last one, honest.

So we got to see the light and a couple birds. Hahaha, Winnah, Winnah, Chicken Dinnah!


By this time the urge to get on back was greater than the urge to do some adventuring and so we headed the nose of the KIA northward on Carol's Street and headed back.

A good trip. A good time.

And then, when I got back, the next morning I found Mr. and Mrs. Mallard were back to visit for another spring.

Here's the Mister...


...And the Missus.


All in all a great adventure. 

Life is made of these little adventures in between the daily routine of living. I couldn't say 'grind' or 'rut' of living because, well, y'know, I'm retired. Routine is a much better word to describe my daily walk through life.

And it's nice to step outside the routine at times. Do a little gentle exploring...see some new sights, experience some new tastes and give ourselves an opportunity to refresh our joy at living.

And also to put paid to a particular bill. To accomplish some small something. Getting to the last two lighthouses after several years was satisfying. 



And life is good.

Since I started this rant with a Notable Quote, I'll end it with something I found on the 'Net. Hahaha, breaking all the rules here.

All good things do come to an end. It's part of the cycle of life. But each ending is simply an opportunity for a new beginning. Another adventure.

Hooah!!

And so, cue the music please,


Ciao!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment