Monday, January 8, 2018

Chapter 51 - Bowls and Life

I never promised you a rose garden. I never once said this would be easy. Hahahaha, I never even said it would be worth the effort. 

All I ever committed to was an effort to chronicle my adventures as I maneuvered my precarious way past the shoals and through the dangerous waters of my middling life. And so here, in these annals I touch the mundane highlights of a life lived inoffensively. On the QT.

When I got into RWC, I found two kids ready to Par-Tay!! And Max and I started off the fun with a Star Wars puzzle. It wasn't as easy as it looks so the smug look Max has was, in a fashion, earned and appropriate. Plus he was mugging for the camera, too.


Here's the finished product. Ah, Star Wars, it seems you are immortal because, like Ol' Man River, you jes' keeps rollin', you keeps on rollin' along. You'll see more evidence of this later on in this Chapter.

But I felt pretty good. Max and I put it together and I didn't lose my patience or become overly frustrated and he didn't cry so that was a definite win-win-win for me.


Like pretty much every other facet of my life of ease this blog is disorganized and pretty much cobbled together using scotch tape and good wishes. That's my semi-clever way of absolving myself for my abhorrent laziness in presenting these pictures in nothing resembling a logical order. Somehow I separated them and ended with this sketchy semblance to some kind of order that you'll just have to deal with.

Hahaha, I say again, I never promised it would be easy...nor fun.

But this was fun, sorta. We took a walk to the downtown for, well, the fun of it and to see the village of Bethlehem. A local evangelical church puts on a large staging of the village of Bethlehem during the days of Christ's birth.

But first we have to walk downtown and past the decorations. Surprisingly, many families still put out some significant Christmas displays. Elaborate.

Like this yard.

Nicely done.


As we walked through the downtown area we took a moment to pose for a picture with one of the two giant Christmas Trees on display at the turn into the Pedestrian Zone on Middlefield Road.

Ah, it's tough getting 3 and 5-year olds to pose.


But the City did a good job decking out the trees in holiday style. I'm sure, though, they also took as great a care to refer to them only as Holiday Trees.


Hahaha, I admit I am not a huge fan of walking. After the downtown we still had a couple blocks to walk. Brave soldier that I am I trudged along, begrudgingly. And, eventually, we got there.

We had seen the lights up on top of this building for some while as we neared the Village but I hadn't realized they had people up there and they were dancing, swaying to the music.

They were on top of the Rise City Church, the Church hosting this big event, and were part of the overall show. 

The angels in heaven dancing in joy at the birth of the Christ Child.


Impressive. They hadn't moved until we were almost alongside the building and then they started their dance again. I hadn't realized there were real people up there until that point.


At least one big girl was excited about visiting the Village.


There were Roman Soldiers, Centurions, there. They kept peace and order and protected the tax collectors. We were each given a gold coin with which to pay the tax as we entered the village. The Centurions also made sure everyone paid their taxes.

As we walked through the Village we saw how the folks lived. There was a school and a market place. They also had their animals there in the Village.


We snuck in a picture with a group of Centurions taking a break. Max seems appropriately impressed with these guys.


As we were leaving after having seen the Nativity Scene, the kids got to pet an ass. Maybe it's the one that Mary rode into Bethlehem on led by Joseph.


It was quite an impressive production. Amy and her crew have been the last few years and enjoyed it each time.


The Birth That Changed History...And the World.

Well done.


Things get blurry after a bit and so my sequencing is really spotty. I know all these things happened during my visit but you can't pin me down on the order in which they occurred.

Hahaha, sue me.

Regardless, we did go to meet Amy for lunch one day. Must have been after Christmas because Max was in school and it was just Quinnita and I. We had Amy's car because she drove Sandy's car into work. Hahaha, it really did complicate matters when I decided to fly down instead of driving.

Arriving right on time, I took a moment to grab a shot with Quinn at the entrance where we were going to enter FaceBook. I can't really say it is THE entrance, just one of many.

However, someone had decided to slightly put her nose out of joint and make it difficult for me to get a picture of her. I'll let you guess who that was. But, a clue, here she is trying to sidle out of the picture and failing.

Too slow, Kiddo!!


What an amazing place this would be to work at. It's like entering a fantasy world, a carnival. 

First we have to check in and get our passes to wear around our necks. Once we have that they send a notice to our host to come collect us and bring us into the "Temple Grounds".


I had the obviously offensive idea of getting a picture of Quinnily with her pass. I thought it'd be cute, y'know, her smiling with her pass. Here's the finished product. I'll let you judge the cuteness quotient. Remember, I did mention the slight case of out of jointedness of the nose.


I did note that here, unlike most of Oregon, they appreciate the good taste of a Coke over a, shudder, Pepsi.


Me: Hey, Quinn, let me get a cute picture of you for your Mommy.

Her:


Even after Amy collected us she was still working on that slightly disjointed nose thingie. Here they're getting themselves some treats from the vast array of free goodies FB has out for their minions. And their guests. I swear, if I worked here I would gain about 40 lbs in the first month or two.

Ah, five-year olds. They're a wonder.


Quite naturally they restrict picture taking in the work areas. I always checked before I took a shot. This hallway was fair game and I saw my chance and took it.

Relaxed casual is the Uniform of the Day here.


When we came to the wall where you could make your mark or explain yourself Quinn's dam suddenly burst and the smiles came out. Her nose abruptly popped back into place and we got a smile.

YAY!!


And it was so nice that I felt I should make my mark up there, too.


This was like the day before the New Year's so there wasn't a lot of working going on.

Here's one of the many cafes they have spotted around the campus for their employees...and guests.


And it is really good, quality food. Lots of it and lots of variety. And it is all there for free.

That still is difficult for me to wrap my mind around the 'free' food thingie.

Love it, though!!


But we decided to meet up with Kristi and drive over to another part of the campus for lunch. Out the entrance we went, then.


Down the road and past the big FB 'Thumbs Up' Sign with all the tourists there getting their pictures taken with it.


And into another part of this Fantasy World.


See!?! Doesn't it look like an amusement park? Like a Fairway at a County Fair.


And after a short walk we got to the restaurant where I'd eaten once before. The one with the really great selection of bread.

Mmmmmmmmmm...


Because they're so nice they even set out a display of the main meal being served that day. Course there were plenty of other things in addition to what was shown here.

Hahahahaha, LOVE IT!!


Not too busy today.


And this was my subdued plate. I could have done a lot more but...a boy has to watch his waist, right!?!

Look at that chunk of bread. The temptation to go back and get some more roast and bread was great.


Quinn got her eats and settled in.


And then I made the mistake of challenging her to make a phone call on my phone. A phone she has never seen and never used in her almost 6 years of life.

My phone is such an antique I figured I'd have her stumped with the push buttons and the slide.

I was wrong.

Here's a picture of a self-satisfied almost-6-year old after having dialed her Mom on my phone.

The Brat.


After lunch it was time for a stroll. Over there is a burger joint and some kind of game arcade, I think.


On the right is the Mexican Restaurant. We were headed down to the Ice Cream Shoppe for desert.


Hahaha, I forget what Teddy's is but whatever it is I am sure it is tasty.


And then a quick detour for something or other. And on the detour Quinn got to do some swinging.


And I got a shot of the quad. Grab your lunch and head out to the quad for dinner al fresco.


Unfortunately the Ice Cream Shoppe was swamped. Too many stupid tourists. 

Well, I didn't need the extra 1,000 to 1,500 extra calories anyway. 

Ratz.


And then it was over. I couldn't eat anymore and I think they would frown on my stuffing my pockets with cans of coke and candy and chips.

Sadly, I looked away from the Free Food, er, uh, I mean the Facebook and left for Amy's.


Ka-Boom!!

Here's another one of my Christmas Presents. Santa Allan Poe.

Someone even said they thought it was me on the pin.

Haha and ha.


While I was in Facebook we stopped by their store. I got myself a cap and a pair of sunglasses. (Thanks, Amy!!)

Lookin' good, Jackie!!


Amy and Quinn in a private (almost) moment before we went to go shopping. Looking closer, that might be Max's head just over Quinn's shoulder. Might be.


The mantle of the fireplace declares which Holiday it is the family is celebrating.


And we were off. 

No, we didn't go to the Dollar Tree. Seems around the corner from it is a Toy R Us. That's where we were headed.


The Star Wars Movie was released a few days before Christmas and the Force was still strong in the toy stores.

What a freakin' money-making machine this franchise has been...since 1977.

Money, Money, Money...


How much more money can the franchise keep making on C-3P0? Now he comes with a "Force Link" (whatever the hell that is!). 

This well never seems to dry up.


Hahahaha, and they keep adding new characters with each new film.

Crazy.


This one was lost in all the choices. Her birthday was the 30th and so I told her I'd get her a present.

But what to get!?!


Look at this!! A nearly full-size Thomas the Train.

And pretty much both sides of the aisles featured his stuff. It's got to be uber difficult to be a kid today with all these choices and demands. Honestly, it was much simpler in my day and maybe, just maybe, that was a good thing.

Crazy.


Look at all the freakin' games!!

It's amazing!!

It's crazy.


And nowadays there is nothing it seems that is off limits.

Like this. I would hope this would be a very poor seller. I would hope but I am sure it is probably very popular. Our children sometimes appear to have little chance to grow up untainted.


And, good grief, Lego has grown up, too!!

From Chinese Junks to...


...Star Wars Spacecraft.

It's crazy.


Each new characters is a new chance to make money.

Ka-Ching!!


A girl can dream, can't she?

Quinn was dreaming about all the fun she'd have in one of these sporty runabouts.


And then the dreams shifted into something a bit more feasible.

Oh, Barbie!! Another perennial money-maker.


Didn't she use to be Christmas Barbie?


Hahahaha, they can still sell'em even if they a year or two old.


Oh, what's a girl to do!!


And now they make all these toys as one part of a larger set so you can 'collect' them...as long as your parent's wallets hold out.

Crazy.


But this is what Quinnie picked. A new puppy for her to walk.

It's key point in selling itself to Quinnie? He eats and he....poops!!

Oh. Boy.

Yes, she has a toy dog that can eat and then poop.


Honestly, who wouldn't want such a toy dog like this!?! 

Who!?!


Amy had some coupons and so we stopped for lunch at this trendy little sandwich bistro...or is it a deli? I have trouble keeping up with what is currently in.


Quinn with her new dog. I think she named it Levi. Going for the Biblical Connection with her pooping toy dog.


The sandwiches were...OK.

Nothing to brag about but they were, OK.


I had the Ol' Standby, The Reuben.

The meat was good but the bread kinda dry and flakey. Not much for sides here, either.


Quinnito was all into posing now. She had a cider drink and thought it looked like a beer so she wanted this grown up picture of her, drinking beer and walking her dog.

Hey!! Pick up the poop!!


We drove a long, long way to a Barnes & Noble where we found, what!?! More chances for the Star Wars Franchise to make money!!


But this one was unaffected by the Star Wars Phenomena. 

She was more into her birthday cupcake.


And while it wasn't touting any new release, the Harry Potter Franchise was doing good, too. Selling wands, books, DVDs, Dolls, Creatures and whatever else they thought might score a buck or two.


But, by far, Star Wars was the front-runner to beat this Christmas Season.

The Force is strong with this Franchise.


Every manufacturer found a way to cut out a slice of this money-pie.


Don't give up, Harry!! 


Alright. Quick change of venue now. I had stayed at Amy's and watched as Army beat San Diego State in the Armed Forces Bowl. It was great.

It was even greater when Sandy threw down $20 on SDSU to win and, hahahahahahahahahaha, she lost!!

Oh, but that was a sweet victory. 

But now it was time for THE College Bowl Game of the Season!! The Arizona Bowl featuring a grudge match between the Aggies of Utah State (boooooooo) and The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State!!

Seems Amy is not a big fan of football and so I hauled my Aggie-Rootin' Ass out of the house and down the street to the American Legion to watch this important Bowl Game.

I figured it being a Friday afternoon and it being Aggie against Aggie the Legion might be hopping with football-cheering veterans up one side of the bar and down the other.

I was one happy Ol' Vet when I spied the Legion Hall.


And I was one surprised, and disappointed, Ol' Vet when I saw the crowds.


After some complaining and bitching about having to find the channel by the bartender, I convinced him to let me try finding it so he could go back and watch his Alaska Survival show. 

After some surfing, I finally found THE Bowl Game and settled in for some fun.

And a picture or two.


It was a rough and tumble game...what you'd expect from a couple of bowl hungry teams.

That's The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State in the white and maroon uniforms. The other aggies are in blue.


And when I got there and got settled, The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State were in the lead, 13-10.

The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State weren't favored but they sure as hell were leading!!

And look at that crowd there!! A lot of The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State Fans.


They were going at each other tooth and nail.



Along halftime, I got me a bit hungry and realized this Legion didn't serve any food.

Bummer.

But I did find their sole source of nourishment. This lonely and poorly stocked machine.

Uh, no thanks. I'll pass I guess. Another beer, please.


Good golly, there were a lot of The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State Fans there.

NMSU was seriously well-represented. And they wuz havin' themselves some fun.



Seeing as the Aggies were favored to beat The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State by at least 7 points, the game was a nail-biter.


The teams tied and went into OT where The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State won on their possession scoring a touchdown to win 26-20.

Hahahahaha, The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State won the Arizona Bowl!!


They won!!

From laughingstock of the Nation with the longest losing streak in the Nation to ending the longest streak of non-bowl seasons, The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State had done it all. And it hurt.

But now they'd worked hard, won a chance to go to a bowl and then won their damn bowl!! All while knowing at the end of the game they were being booted out of their conference.

Hahaha, bite me, Sun Belt Conference!!



And there it is.

The Trophy.

The last time The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State had been to a bowl game was the Sun Bowl in 1960. Their opponent? The Utah State Aggies and The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State won that game 20-13.

History just repeated itself as The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State beat Utah State for a second time in a bowl game.

Ah, it was sweet. 

I had to share this great moment with someone so I stood up and yelled to the four people, counting the bartender, in the bar with me that The Mighty Aggies of New Mexico State had won their first bowl game since 1960. They'd won!!

Hooah!!


Whew!! That was great fun but now let's change the tone and the venue, again...

Little Missy Q had her sixth birthday while I was there and it was a cause for cake. So the Old Lady carved us up some tasty birthday cake.



And carefully plated it.


Me: Hahaha, how's it feel to be six-years old?

Her:


And some more Birthday Toys.


Which include monkeys that do...something.



She seemed quite happy with them, though.



And Lego - tapping into every possible revenue source.


Her big celebration will come some later when she and Max take a combined birthday trip to a magical land to be named at a later date. A clue, though, it involves some of those things in the picture right above this.

Her last treat was a trip to Rockin' JUMP for a Rockin' BIRTHDAY.

Trampolines and fun.

I declined.


Whew, it was busy visit but it was fun. I tried to be unobtrusive during my stay but I know it's tough to have that foreign element always there.

Regardless, I had fun with the kids and their Moms.

My teams both won their Bowl Games and this can't but have a good effect on both their programs and their recruiting.

It's great.

Hooah!!








No comments:

Post a Comment