Monday, December 18, 2017

Chapter 47 - Old Hobbies, New Toys

To start off I have to reach back a bit. After all, this is a Blog about Jack and so it should reflect all the minutiae of a life (hopefully) well-lived.

On a recent Saturday I was at the Pack Pool Party, I was there showing the flag and supporting the Cub Master and, unfortunately, I was also there because I was volunteered to teach the Cubs how to tie knots. Hahahaha, yeah, right.

The plan was for there to be pizzas for everyone after the pool and so I volunteered to drive April down to Gallucci's Pizza to pick them up. Gallucci's had generously donated four pizzas to the Cubs. So off we went.

And it was closed. To be exact, we were about ten minutes early, they opened at 1100 and the pool party ended at 1100 and we thought we'd pick up the pizzas and have them ready close to 1100. Well, we had to chill for a couple minutes and while I was waiting, I got this shot of The 101.

Something about this highway and its affect on the community that gets my attention. In the distance, above the red roof of the local DQ, is the gray building that is the Community Center...where the pool party was. Hahaha, another nice feature of living in a small community.


And there's April. First time we met, at another Cub Party, I had, accidentally, shot an embarrassing picture of her and, subsequently, caught a little bit of Hell for it and so it began. My challenge now is to catch her unawares, grab a shot and then be sure to publish it on the Cub FB page. I'm up to the challenge!!

April is as impatient as I am. Beating on the door, she got them to let us in about 7 minutes early.


Ah, Gallucci's. 

(Small aside, but that is a refrain from their advertising jingo we hear on the radio several times a day. Every day. Ah, Gallucci's...)



And there they were, working on our pizzas even before the restaurant officially opened its doors. I gotta tell ya, donating AND getting the pizzas done early!! That's Gallucci's!!



It takes a heap o' pizza to feed a pack of Cubs. There were six of these culinary monstrosities. Hmmmmm, that may not be enough for this Pack.



BOOM!!

There it is!! Another one of my famous, lightening-quick segues from one story-line into another, completely unrelated, totally different story-line. 

Just. Like. That.

It's what I do.

Chapter Two: So it being December 9th it was not only the Cub Pack Pool and Pizza Party but it was also the day of the ARMY-NAVY Game.

I gave up the opportunity to watch the Corps of Cadets march into the stadium in order to get the Cubs started with their knot tying. But, doggone it, I wasn't giving up the game. 

Not today, Mister!!

So I rushed from the Community Center to Aces Sports Bar and Grill. I had been worried about being able to find a good seat to watch the game because, I mean, after all, it's the ARMY-NAVY Game!!! 

I thought I would have some difficulty finding a good seat because I honestly thought there'd be a bit of a crowd.

Hahahaha, called that one wrong.

Pick a seat...any seat...wherever you want!!



Since I had eaten a few slices of Gallucci's Pizza (how could I not!?!), I just ordered a me a piping hot Dutchman's Pretzel and a cold beer.

Mmmmmmmmmm...



And it was a great game!! It was a close game. It was a hard-fought game. It was a nail-biter. It was fun!!


I was so nervous and jumpy that I left the bar after the third quarter. Navy was leading 13-7 and Army hadn't been doing much of anything. And, honestly, I kinda consider myself to be a jinx for NMSU and Army football when I actually watch their games. 

I really do believe that if I am not watching then my teams will do better. I've proven it to myself several times, turning off or not following a particular game only to find out, when I checked on it, that my team had come through and won...without me there to jinx them.

So I did the noble thing and left. 

Then, with just minutes left (and me not watching), Army scored and took the final lead. Oh, and somewhere in there was a very narrow miss of a Navy field goal attempt. I mean it was razor-thin, folks!! Haha, but they missed!! 


And Army won!!

It was an exciting game played in horrible conditions but Army fought hard against the favored Midshipmen and prevailed!!

For the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha and ha.


Not only did they beat Navy, but they also won, for the first time since 1996, The Commander-in-Chief's Trophy.

Hooah!!

This will look mighty fine in Eisenhower Hall at West Point.

Mighty fine


Ahhhhh, that was a sweet moment. I didn't check on the game until I was positive it was over, one way or the other. And when I did...it was great.

Slip-Sliding Away

And just like that he left the game and got into Scout Stuff.

Just. Like. That.

I got rooked into working a shift at the Boy Scout Troop Christmas Tree Lot. Hahaha, the only saving grace was that it was dry. No rain. To my surprise, we even sold around 5-6 trees, too!!

But, naturally, I brought along a camera and got a couple shots. I had the Ol' Standby, Mr. Reliable, the SX170. It's still a kick-ass camera for the cost.

A regular shot, hand-held, and pretty clear, honestly.


And then I cheated and used the flash. Hahaha, that tent is a life-saver during Tree Lot Days. It is surprising how warm it gets inside with just the one wood stove.



One of the Scouts selling a tree.

Each tree is color coded as to type and then the Scouts measure the height and simply refer to the color and the height on a Price Sheet to figure out how much it costs. It's as simple as simple could be.

Hence the long stick with the taped marks on it.



ZOOOOOOOM!!

Segue!! Whoosh!! Here we go again.

For the past few years I've wanted to get shots of the Dorchester House (DH) while its decorated for Christmas and so I determined that I would kill two birds (WHAT!!) with one stone. 

You see, they said there would be a large meteor shower the night of the 13th into the morning of the 14th and so, to avoid the traffic on The 101, I got up early on the 14th.

I was going to go out and see some meteor showers and then, since it doesn't get light until 0700, motor on over to the DH and get some shots of the decorated house.

Hahaha, I didn't see a single meteor. But I did get some shots of the DH. Learned a little about my knowledge of photography and got myself out. All in all it was a Winnah, Winnah, Chicken Dinnah!!



I used the tripod and the SX60.

A zoom-in on the old dining room.



Thankfully there isn't much traffic at 0615 in the morning on The 101.

But I learned. I learned about preparing and I learned I seriously need to get over my embarrassment and unease at trying to take a serious picture.



Ta, da!! 

(Did you catch that clever move from one subject to the other? Fast and smooth, eh!?!)

That very same day my new camera arrived!!

Hooah!!

Really, I expect this new camera to do at least two things for me. Thing #1 - it is a 20.1 megapixel system and so I am hoping I will get a touch more sharpness, a noticeable edge in sharpness in my pics. And Thing #2 - get me excited about getting out and taking pictures again.

I've been in a blue funk, a miasma, a significantly discernible ennui in regards to my photography for, really, what seems like a year now. I'm hoping this G3 X will help me shake the doldrums off and get me excited about taking pictures. Get me off my Rusty Dusty and out and about.

Big order, Mr. G3 X. I hope you're man enough for the job.


I had, naturally, wanted the first picture taken with the new camera to be a memorable one but, by golly, I am not one who is known for his patience.

Instead of a worthy subject I jumped the gun and shot this...scene...for my very first picture with the new camera.

My kitchen.


And it is so significant that I rendered it in B&W, too!!

Appreciate it, dammit!!

(Haha, I don't care what you say...just about any picture becomes more interesting when done in B&W. It just becomes 'artier'.)


And, what's a boy to do when he has a new camera? Take pictures of everything.

Like Carol's front room.

And don't dare me!! We all know it would look even artier if I did it in B&W!!



Ka-Bing!!
(Another lightening smooth segue!!)

Speaking of Carol, one of her friends in the DH commissioned a local artist, Nora Sherwood, to do a painting of two Nenes. As soon as Carol heard, she had to, just had to order a copy of the painting to give to Mike and Hannah Raines.

The Nene is the State Bird of Hawaii. And Michael is a State Native of Hawaii. See the connection!?!

Here's a picture of the painting. You can see the Momma Nene is getting a bit defensive about her nest.

Photo curtesy of Mike Raines.

Hannah is the Cubmaster and Mike is the Outdoors Activities Chair. We've worked very closely with them since May in building up the Pack. And in that time we've become good friends with their family.

When Nora finally delivered the finished painting and the copy, Carol could hardly contain herself. She called Hannah so we could stop by their house and drop off the print but the Raines' were at the local McDonalds.

So that's where we went so Carol could give them their Christmas present.

Mike is native Hawaiian. His middle name is "Kainoa". I won't even try to give you his son's middle names. Hahaha, too many vowels. Anyway, because they celebrate their heritage so much that's why she thought this was the perfect gift for them and why she was so excited to give it to them.



Jingle Bells!!

A quick little side-step into a Christmas Wonderland.

Waiting for Carol and I got some pictures of one of the many Christmas Trees on display in the DH.





OK, shut up.

Playing with the new camera, obviously, and shooting everything.

Like Carol's shoe. Just idle shooting to see what the camera is capable of. And, yeah, I shot this in B&W originally. Pretty sharp from several feet away.

Possibilities.


Click!!

And the light late in the afternoon was golden...and I have a new camera.



So I tried it out. I metered different areas of the scene to see how the camera reacted.

Can you see the subtle differences in the color?



Learning.



Splat!!
(You'll see why this is an appropriate segue title in a moment.)

Now, mind you, this past week has been glorious. The skies have been blue, the temperature pleasant, the days dry. Simply gorgeous, wonderful, beautiful days made for taking pictures.

And then there was this ... day. 

A murky, unpleasant sort of drab, dull, deadening, soul-killing kind of a day.

And it was on this day that Carol spotted these two guys sitting atop the communications tower in the freakin' center of the town!!

TWO BALD EAGLES!!

Right there in the middle of Lincoln City!!


And, because I am renowned for my obvious pettiness, I'll drive that point home with this picture. See it? There, where the red star is, that's the communication tower.

In the center of town.

For context, that's my place, the blue marker in the upper left hand corner.


I mean, how many times are you driving along when you see two bald eagles up on a tower.

In the center of town.


And the light was lousy. It was dull, dead, boring, flat, murky, tedious, monotonous and dreary kind of light.

But I had to take the pictures.

I had to.


How cool is that!?!


WHUT!?!

Yeah, it's true!!

I finally got into one of the group pictures!!

The Pack was in Newport at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) base to see their museum and then tour one of their ships and I got in the group picture.

I had started herding the crowd together when Colin Teems, the Tiger Den Leader, asked to take the picture so I could get in it. Normally I'd protest and not get in but, this time, I decided, "What the heck!?!"

And there I am!! On the right in the second row. Looking red and chubby. But I'm in the picture.

Photo by Colin Teems - Caption by At Ease Photography

And while we were there I caught this guy scooting in and around the ships. Both Carol and I think this is a grebe. Yeah, a grebe. And we're sticking with that.


Any place you stand in or around this harbor you can hear the seals barking. I can't help it. They bark and, like Pavlov's dog, I respond and I take the shot. 


Hahaha, I just realized they have me well trained.


B&W. New camera. Bored old man. 

'Nuff said.


This is Sean. Sean works at The Shutterbug. Sean has a great deal of patience when dealing with Fat Old Men who think they are wickedly funny. 

While I can't usually afford to even walk into the store, it is still a lot of fun for me when I do. I consider myself fortunate there is a camera store here in Lincoln City.

Basically, I needed to get some protection for the viewing screen of my new camera and I knew two things. Thing #1, I have little patience. And Thing #2, I am not craftsy.

So I went in to Sean and ascertained two things. Thing #1, they had the protective screens I wanted and, Thing #2, if I purchased it there, then Sean would put it on the camera for me.

Done deal!!

In fact, I was so grateful I gave the remaining screens to Sean to use. I've bought these packs twice before and, twice before, I've put the unused screens back into the packs and put them someplace where I would absolutely remember where they were. For the next time, y'know.

And then I would promptly forget where I put them.

So, really, why even take the extra sheets? Maybe Sean will be able to put them to good use. Plus, I got my camera protected and didn't have to cuss a single time!!

Win-Win!!

Thanks, Sean.


Christmas Cards for Ol' Jackie.

I'd mailed all mine and gotten the one back that I'd sent to Cade and Alexis. So, today, I scanned the envelope AND the card and sent them, via FB, to Alexis with the valid but still lame excuse that I had tried.

Wrong address. Believe me (I'm pretty sure I got the address from Michelle), I thought I'd checked and had the right one. Alexis was a wee bit miffed because Chris had gotten his Card already.

Anyway, she asked if I had gotten her card and I told her, "Yeah!! And it's up on the mantle right now."

Hahaha, the little brat made me take a picture of it to prove it.

Hahahaha, Challenge Accepted!!


And there that is.

Not too entertaining but it is a common life. I strive to live by what I think of as an essential and important part of the oath a brand-new Doctor takes (even though it isn't in the Hippocratic Oath), 

"First do no harm."

Not bad advice. I haven't always been successful and for those times I, well, I truly regret them. I do.

Finally, of course, I strive to live by the Scout Oath and the Scout Law.

Oh my honor I will do my best.
To do my duty to God and my Country 
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times.
To keep myself physically strong, 
mentally awake,
and morally straight.

A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent.

And I've tried to do no harm and be a good person.

I always felt the best thing my Mom and Dad gave to me was my good name. There was no shame, no stigma attached to my name. It was respected when I got it and I hope it will be the same when I pass on someday. 

I really do put a lot of stock in my name, my reputation, my honor. Of all the things I've owned and treasured in my life, none have lasted as long as my good name nor has anything I've ever owned brought me as much pride and happiness.

Hooah!!


And this, too...










No comments:

Post a Comment